So there’s only one day left of my spring break, which I’m kind of bummed about, but I also tested out a ton of new recipes for you guys over the break that I’m excited to share (these brownies being one of them)! I always struggle with vegan baking, but that’s almost the most fun part, because I’m forced to problem solve and come up with new ways to get the result I want. Sometimes they are *epic* fails, but other times I’m surprised by how good (sometimes better) a vegan version of a recipe can be! What are your experiences with vegan baking?
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup melted vegan chocolate (I used enjoy life brand)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 (scant) cup whole wheat pastry flour (or flour of choice)
- Pinch salt
- Opt. Vegan chocolate chips for mix-ins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing together the water and flax and let sit for 7-10 min
- Mix together the flax egg, melted chocolate, melted coconut oil, mashed banana, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar until combined.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, salt, and opt. chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into the 9×9 inch pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 17-20 minutes (less for a more gooey brownie)
- Let cool and enjoy!
If you make these let me know by taking a photo and tagging @earthlyeats on Instagram!