If you have no idea what this is, you might think that this is a recipe for dog food. But, quite the contrary, it is just about the most delicious sweet and crunchy snack known to mankind! The only problem is, after scouring the internet, every recipe I found had loads of powdered sugar. Even though powdered sugar is arguably a yummy coating to anything (hello, powdered donuts anyone?), it’s not exactly conducive to a healthy lifestyle. In this recipe, it is replaced by the much healthier oat flour. Of course, if you’d like this recipe to be a bit sweeter, you can totally replace some of the oat flour with powdered sugar (ya got options 😎).
Also, this recipe is 100% flexible to special diets. For a vegan diet, simply use a dairy-free chocolate brand (I usually use enjoylife dark chocolate chips). For a gluten-free diet, make sure to choose a Chex-type cereal that is made with corn or rice (most are gluten free). And for any nut allergies – sunflower butter will work just as well.
Before the recipe, I want to know in the comments, did you eat this as a kid? I remember it being a snack that my mom would make every once in awhile as a treat 🙂
- 1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips/chopped chocolate
- 1/3 cup almond/peanut/seed butter
- 4 cups Chex-type cereal
- ~3/4 cup oat flour (more or less as needed to coat the cereal)
- Opt: I added 1 packet of Amazing Greens Chocolate Greens Powder
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the Chex-type cereal in a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler, then mix in the almond butter. (If you’re adding the greens powder, mix that in as well)
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex-type cereal and mix to evenly distribute. Then pour in the oat flour and mix until the cereal is coated and less sticky.
- Pour the mixture onto the parchment lined baking sheet, spread out, and let chill for 30 minutes to and hour.
*Use of Amazing Grass products is sponsored, and all my opinions are my own.